Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Powdery White Stuff

When I think of powdery white stuff, I’m not thinking cocaine; I’m reminded of sliding down slippery slopes of snow on a sled at my cousins’ house a few years ago. I think of the huge snowman we built, it was about as tall as a doorway, and about as big around as two people put together.

Such was not the case for eastern states such as Virginia, New York, New Hampshire, and parts of the Carolinas.

Even though we haven’t received snow in Florida, we’ve felt the bitter cold, but we’ve been luckier than up north.

In the Carolinas, schools were closed in several counties. The snowstorm caused power-outages for tens of thousands, contributed to several wrecks Sunday night that shut a 22-mile stretch of I-85 near the S.C.-N.C. line for about eight hours, and some patches of snow may not melt for a couple of weeks in some counties.

In Washington between 3 and 12 inches of snow fell. The weather contributed to four deaths on roads in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and on Long Island. The storm was also blamed for 350 crashes in New Jersey, and a Maryland official counted about 50 cars in the ditch on one stretch of highway.

Three on-air staffers at WABC/Ch. 7 spun their personal vehicles while on their way to cover the heavy snow, almost becoming accident statistics themselves.

Although the snow storm packed a lot of damage, it could have been worse.

As much as I love snow, and as admirable as it was for so many networks to cover the snowstorm—as it made it’s way across the east coast and into parts of Georgia—I’m smart enough to say stay inside during rough weather.

When it all calms down, go out and make snow angels!

5 comments:

  1. I like so snow to a certain extent. When I was in Chicago recently, I didnt touch the stuff. I didnt think making myself more cold and wet seemed appealing. Snow can defintely cause alot of damage. But, alot of natural disasters do cause aalot of damage. I guess it's to each their own. Floridians prefer hurricanes and floods, people up north prefer snowstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your opening description about snow--you make it sound like the fun stuff it should be! I was amazed to read all your different articles about the terrible weather--amazed because the coverage of winter weather in our newspaper is limited, to say the least. I guess if you want a true picture of people suffering from the snow as much as we suffer from hurricanes, then you have to go online. I wish the paper had more room to talk about all the accidents, power outages, etc., associated with winter storms, especially all those problems in the nearby Carolinas! Having your power knocked out in September (although it is HOT) for a week cannot compare to having it knocked out for a week in subzero temperatures. I know I (and probably others) would be less whiny during hurricane season if we realized just how bad it is during the winter for our Northern neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so blessed to be in Florida but sad to say, with this global warming no telling what the weather will be like here next winter.

    My face and hands go numb when I go to school here so I would hate to hear the personal stories of what individuals are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from St. Louis and I miss the snow a lot. I miss throwing snow balls and all the days that the schools were closed down because of snow. But it is dangerous and diffucult to drive in that type of weather. That's why people should pack up as much stuff as they can in case they get snowed in or have a power outage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the catatrophes and accidents that happen with snow and the other bad weather storms, is not unheard of. many things like sliding on the roads, blinded drivers, and other things have all been related to the amount of snow in past areas, through the united states. the way the snow works it unpredictable and you can never completely prevent from being involvned r casuing an accident, but many things like putting chains on your tires and things like that help you be safe.

    ReplyDelete