Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Green Rivers, Green Trees, Green Clothes.

Well, it’s Saint Patrick’s Day today folks. That means we get to wear green, feast, have parades, and get drunk.

If we’re Irish who follow the faith that stems from Christianity, we get to skip lent for this day.

The St. Patrick's Day custom came to America in 1737, and was believed to have been celebrated first and foremost in Boston, but today it’s all over the news, and celebrated across the span of America.

In Savannah, their 185th parade brought thousands to the streets. The Chicago River received an annual dose of green dye over the weekend. In New York the St. Patrick’s Day Parade does not include any commercial aspects like floats or cars; approximately 150,000 to 250,000 people march before an estimated 2 million spectators.

In the olden days, Gays and lesbians -- expected ordinarily to live in shadows -- were granted license during the festivities to cross-dress and act out different gender identities.

Even O'Bama is celebrating St. Patrick's Day.


Why exactly do we have all of these festivities, and who is St. Patrick?

Well, St. Patrick is Ireland's National Apostle. After escaping prison, he helped convert Irish Protestants across Ireland, and set up many churches. He is believed to have died on March 17, around 460 A.D.

That’s not the only reason why people celebrate St. Patrick’s Day either.

The Great Potato Famine hit Ireland in 1845. As a result, close to a million poor, uneducated, Catholic Irish began to pour into America to escape starvation. They were rejected by protestant Americans, but soon began to gain political power in a political organization known as “the green machine.”

Annual St. Patrick's Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, and in 1948, President Truman attended New York City's St. Patrick's Day parade, a proud moment for the many Irish whose ancestors had to fight stereotypes and racial prejudice to find acceptance in America.

While you’re out there celebrating today, and perhaps late into the night, take a moment to reflect and give thanks for the sacrifices made by St. Patrick, and the Irish people, who brought this lovely custom to America.

Even though we’re in an Economic crisis, it’s great to know that we uphold such lovely traditions.

4 comments:

  1. I love St.Patricks day. I always think it's so much fun because their is so much tradition behind it and also history. I unfortunately could not go out and celebrate this year due to having too much to do the next day, but I am hoping to continue my Irish celebration back up next year. I think it's great when Americans celebrate holidays from other cultures, it reminds me of what a "melting pot" this country truely is. I think its really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very clever how some journalists seized the opportunity to promote "green" activities on a traditionally green day. I especially loved the line in the article you cited about the Chicago River being dyed green--how environmentalists shouldn't object because the green dye was a "proverbial drop in the bucket" compared to the other carcinogens floating around the river! But I really enjoyed reading the wealth of material you cited for your blog--the history of St. Patty's, the headliners, the traditions, etc. I'm not even close to being Irish, but after watching the St. Patrick's Day parade in New York City two years ago, I was struck by the huge numbers of people brought together by this holiday--and all the fun they were having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to know the background of the holidays that are reserved in our nation. I never had a clue why we celebrate this holiday but now I know!

    I guess I don't bother to celebrate this holiday because I am not Irish, so it does not affect me if I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. I never really keep up with St. Patrick's Day. I didn't even know that it was this week until you pitched me. But it's good that they celebrate this holiday for a man who helped Irish Protestants. I just wish that the world was more helping and loving that it could be.

    ReplyDelete