Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Energizing Entertainment

DVDs are generally released on Tuesdays. Around six o’clock this evening I tried to check out the film Bolt (released today) from either the Blockbuster on Southside Blvd., or the Blockbuster at the corner of Beach Blvd. and St. Johns Bluff, but both were all out.

Luckily, my boyfriend came to the rescue, and found a copy at his local Blockbuster.

The Entertainment industry is fairing better than most in these days of economic despair. DVD rentals for Franchise Entertainment Group, which runs the Video Ezy and Blockbuster home video chains, are up more than 10 per cent in 2009.

Summit Home Entertainment said first-day sales of its modern day vampire love story Twilight (released March 22) sold more than 3 million DVD units.

I Love You, Man and Knowing were just released nationwide this past Friday, and already they are receiving better reviews from the public as opposed to the critics.

Even internet movie websites such as Netflix are on the rise. Netflix is pairing up with the network savvy Facebook and gets a chance to attract new subscribers from 175 million members.

I think that it’s great that people are still embracing art, and culture, but at the same time I feel sad that we need entertainment and that we cannot entertain ourselves.

I vote that instead of cocooning in our homes, watching the latest movies, or playing the latest video games, we should instead go on walks, ride our bikes, or even play a game of Urban Sprinting.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to compose myself now after watching the Urban Sprinting tape--ah, those wacky Australians! But seriously, Christina has asked an age-old question that deserves a thoughtful response--why can't we entertain ourselves? I've often thought that one of the most valuable lessons parents can teach their children is how to amuse themselves. The benefits of developing hobbies and interests that are engaging, and maybe even rewarding, are too numerous to list. I'm convinced that the happiest people at any age are not the wealthiest but the ones who have discovered how to entertain themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness someone agrees. Yes! Please everyone go get some fresh air. Throw away your dvd players and video game systems and go to the beach. I have always been able to entertain myself with no help from technology. I love the outdoors and I go crazy if I don't get a few miles of good clean exercise a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we are all just used to doing these "inside" things like...watching t.v., playing videp games, internet obsession...etc...etc...
    It is so sad to me because sometimes it is such a beautiful day outside and I will call a freind to go in a bike ride and they say no..because some ridiculous show that comes on everyday is on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urban scripting huh!? I have never heard of that game before but I might have to check it out. I think RedBox is blowing up because they offer free movie rentals every week, now who can beat that.

    I don't think it is a bad thing that people are willing to spend money on a movie or something to be entertained. Not everybody is athletic enough to go ride bikes or take a walk.

    ReplyDelete